Friday, February 27, 2009

My Wish...

Here's what I wish.

I wish that when I grew up in the '70s and '80s, in complete denial of being gay, praying that I wasn't what I feared most, believing that all gay men were perverts and sex fiends and freaks, and sure that my future as a gay man would be miserable and lonely and pathetic, that the Internet and blogs had existed then.

And that a fellow, in a long-term, monogamous, committed, happy, gay relationship, had written a blog, sharing details about how great it was to be in a relationship with a man. How normal his life was. How it was possible, and perfectly acceptable, to love someone of the same sex. How you could build a respectable life together. How being gay didn't have to mean being lonely, and slinking around in public places for sex, and hating yourself.

How I wish I had known then what I know now about how great being in a gay relationship really is. I would have been a completely different person. I would have had hope that being gay wasn't such an awful fate in life after all, like everything in society told me it was.

I pray that I will write something in this blog that will give young, gay people the hope I never had.

No comments:

Post a Comment