Friday, August 2, 2013

A New Way (for Me) to Look at Pride

In the past, I've been critical of the annual Pride celebrations that take place once a year in many large cities around the world (this long weekend, Metro Vancouver, my home, celebrates Pride).  In blog posts published here, I've written, among other things, that Pride is an excuse for politicians to win the gay vote; for businesses to attract the gay dollar; and for gay men to strip down and get lucky.    

Well, to a degree, there is all that, isn't there?  I can't deny it.  And, unfortunately, I can't do a thing about it.

But what I can do, what is within my control, is change how I choose to look at Pride. Which, starting today, I've done.    

From this point forward–and in recognition of the growing popularity of Pride celebrations in many places, attracting people who aren't gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender at all–I choose to look at Pride not as an LGBT event but as a human being event.    

At its core, Pride has become an opportunity for each one of us to celebrate that which makes us different from other people, regardless of what that difference might be. Are you African-American, Asian, or First Nations?  Celebrate it at Pride.  Are you Catholic, Jewish, or Muslim?  Celebrate it at Pride.  Are you straight, gay, or transgender?  Celebrate it at Pride.  The world is a big place.  There's room for all of us.      

Be proud of who and what you are.  Let the world know you are not ashamed of what makes you different from others, that you recognize the strength, beauty, and dignity in our diversity.  

Join in the celebration.  Be proud.

Happy Pride, everyone.  

No comments:

Post a Comment