Thursday, October 10, 2013

Thank-you for Doing God's Work

Today, I wrote a thank-you note to Tad Milmine.

Mr. Milmine is a Royal Canadian Mounted Police officer in Surrey, a neighboring community, who used to be bullied in school, not because he's gay (which he is) but because he was shy, and who, in 2012, started a website called bullyingendshere.ca.  Currently, he speaks to students in classrooms across Canada and shows his commitment to at-risk youth by promising to respond quickly to every message he receives.   

I was deeply moved when I read an article in The Vancouver Sun about Constable Milmine, to the extent that I had to thank him.  You'll find a copy of what I said below.

Another example of someone making a positive difference.  

*

Bless you!  Bless you for what you're doing. 

I read the article in The Vancouver Sun today, and how I wish you'd been around to talk to when I was a young kid growing up gay in the 1960s and '70s. 

I never considered suicide, always believing I was meant for so much more than being someone's victim.  But the bullying went on for many years, leaving me feeling worthless by the time I graduated from high school.  It took decades to overcome my low self-esteem, but I'm pleased to say I've been able to.   

For the past five years, I've written a blog called "This Gay Relationship."  Originally, I wanted it to be about my now twenty-one year relationship with my partner, letting other gay people know long-term, loving, and monogamous relationships are really possible for us.

But it turned into so much more–an opportunity not only to understand, accept, and love myself as a gay man, but also to help other gay people do the same.

Today, I hear from young people around the world, experiencing the same kind of pain I did.  I read their comments and emails, and I help them in any way I can–to see what truly amazing human beings they are, and to assure them they will overcome what they're going through right now.  It's the most important and gratifying thing I've ever done.

You don't need to email me back.  According to the newspaper article, you're already overwhelmed by the number of young people contacting you.  But I want you to know you're doing God's work.  You're an amazing man, and you are truly making a difference in the lives of many people.

On behalf of all of them, thank you.  And bless you once again.   

No comments:

Post a Comment